Sunday, April 17, 2011

Rough Theater


My rough theater is a home-made outdoor theater in one’s backyard.  Either that or a screen set up in the neighbor’s garage.  I love being outside and I love movies so combining the two would be ideal.  I would personally love going to outdoor movie theaters more than a regular indoors movie theater.  There is a lot more freedom outside.  I can talk to whoever I’m watching the movie with as much as I want and no one will tell me I need to be quiet.  Kids can run around the playground and swing on the swings.  It is really nice to just sit in a lawn chair and look at a giant big screen that was put out in the middle of a big giant field.  I would love to spend hot summer nights watching movies on a big sheet of cloth and the cloth would be held together by a wooden frame that looked half-way reliable.  Anyone would be welcome to come over.  Anyone would be able to come and go as they please.  No one would be told to just sit down and be quiet.  A table of drinks and popcorn bags would be ready for use as long as everything would not be consumed too quickly.  The outdoor theater would just be more like a hang out place more than anything.  No sophistication, no uppity type vibes, just fun and simplicity of socializing eating food and drinking (drinks as far as soda or alcoholic beverages, whatever your preference).  Brook’s article of the rough theater makes a point of saying that a rough theater wants to prevent that sophisticated feel to it. Instead, he describes a place that is more along the lines of gritty, dirty, and not the best of quality, but it is more than likely to be a lot more fun and personal than a giant rich looking theater.  A rough theater would seem to be more comforting.  You can portray whichever attitude you would like such as the crazy partier or the wild kid and not have to feel bad about it.  No one judges you on how you dress or what your status is.  I very much just like and appreciate the simplicity of things which is why my idea of a rough theater is completely casual and fun.  There would not really be anything special to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment