Monday, April 18, 2011

Bolexness


The bolex shoot was a lot of fun.  A little stressful but it was fun.  I was glad that I got the chance to learn how to load the camera with real actual film and to figure out how to make sure everything was in place so that I could properly feed the film through the camera.  If I had to be brutally honest, I would say especially knowing myself that I was kind of happy that I was able to work on this project on my own and without a group.  I know that when it comes to group projects I am on the quiet side and I would make sure I would help out wherever needed, but I know that I would not be the one learning how to use the bolex.  The most I would probably do with the bolex would have probably just been watching someone else load it, wind it, and shoot with it.  Since I was working by myself I had to choice but to keep control of my own project.  I kind of laugh at myself for having to read each of the articles on the bolex over and over and a million times again to make sure I, at least, halfway knew what I was doing.  I am really glad that April and Derek were able to help me out.  We had a lot of fun shooting at Hugh Macree Park.  It was a really neat experience and I would like to do it again if I ever could.  I wanted to do just a quick run through using my digital camera just to make sure we would get to 56 minutes and have everything look all right.  I was pretty hesitant at pressing the record button on the bolex since I knew I would only get one take.  Having just one take is a tad intimidating.  Using the bolex has increased my love for using real film even though it is definitely not as easy as just turning on a digital video camera and just hitting the record button.  I think one day though it will feel almost as easy.  Now the processing is a whole different story.  That is when the real moment of truth will come out and will determine how well things really went.  I really hope that it comes out properly and that some crazy thing did not go wrong with the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment