Saturday, March 5, 2011

Colors, Animation, and Fun


So this first assignment that we had was way cool.  I love how we were pretty much unlimited to what each of us could do with our film strips.  It was exciting to see what was presented on the film once it was projected.  Once again, I really like the type of exposure I am getting to cameraless filmmaking.  Even though it is a bit time consuming the finished product is very rewarding and the time making the film was really fun.  I was very pleased with the way our film came out.  I wish that I can get better at doing more animation work.  I find animation to be very fascinating and fun so any type of exposure I can get to that is totally awesome.  I was quite proud of the tree I made given that I have never done this type of animation before. I thought this assignment was a perfect amount of exposure to a new type of animation that I had not experimented with yet.  I spent an entire semester with Maya and had a fair share of 3D animation but actually getting to draw on real film and making your own animation with your own hands is very neat.  I loved the way all of the colors turned out.  They were really fun to draw on film and the markers we were able to use were awesome.  As we discussed in 495, I am definitely not opposed to doing this type of procedure again for our senior seminar film.  After this assignment I would really like to try and experiment with more magazine transfers, animation, and color drawing just for fun even.  I would love to experiment more with 16mm film.  I would love to actually make a film and capture images.  Then before it’s developed would like to draw on the film strip and make abstract shapes.  Pretty much like Andre’s films we watched in class or kind of like Naomi Umen’s film with the nail polish, Removed.  I do confess, I would like to go more narrative for a lifelong career in film, but I still would love to be able to make more abstract pieces for my own personal enjoyment.   Again, with this project I loved that we got to mess more with the splicer.  It took me forever to actually believe that how they made films long ago was just by cutting and taping the film together.   Messing with real film is a nice break from the technology and the digital world.

No comments:

Post a Comment