Monday, February 14, 2011

Camera-less Filmmaking


Wow. So cameraless filmmaking is very cool.  I am really glad that I am getting the opportunity to mess around with real film and not just the digital stuff.  I absolutely love digital filmmaking but I am really happy that I get to learn about real film too.  I feel like it will make me a better well rounded filmmaker, especially since I am highly interested in cinematography and editing.  I really like the different gadgets and methods that we have gotten to mess with in class so far. I was really happy to learn how to cut and splice film in particular.  That’s a far stretch from using Final Cut Pro.  Oh and I have never gotten to use a film projector before, let alone know how to use one.  It is not as difficult as I thought it might be even though I think that was one of the easier projectors to work with.  I have loved learning all of the different options you can do on film without a camera.  I mean you can create scratched figures, shapes, and more by just razors, hole punchers and thumb tacks.  I always used to think that if you scratched film in any way shape or form you would ruin it and it would be no good. Ha! I was wrong. That is not the case if it is your original intention.  I liked watching the films that had been messed with in one way or another.  It gave the piece a cooler and edgier look which you do not get to see a lot. I have also had a lot of fun writing on the film with markers and just mixing a whole bunch of different colors together.  I think what has fascinated me the most so far has been learning how to put magazine pictures onto a clear strip of film.  I was fascinated by the pictures from the magazines staying on a piece of tape.  It is nice and refreshing to have a class that is completely hands on.  I like how we get to do what we want and explore film in any way that we feel comfortable with since there is no right or wrong.   This week I will get to learn how to process film, and that is something I have wanted to try now for quite a while so I am really excited about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment